Matt greeted me with a big red See's candy heart and a box of truffles.
Tess greeted me with the remains of the red velvet cupcake she snagged off the counter.
Guess which present I liked more?
So, at 5:30a I'm trying to decide whether 1/24 of a box of red velvet chocolate cake mix contains enough chocolate to poison a 35 pound dog, instead of curled up with coffee and a See's chocolate, planning my 40 minute run.
Here's some Tuesday morning math.
Box of cake mix = 18.25 oz
Tess ate 18.25/24=.76 oz
If we assume worst case scenario - the entire .76 oz was solid dark chocolate (and you and I both know that a prepackaged red velvet cake mix is a far cry from solid dark chocolate).
0.76 oz = 21.55 mg
35 pounds = 15.88 kg
Tess ate 1.36 mg/kg of cake mix, that we are calling "dark chocolate".
According to a paper I found on the internet (quality sources you know...) mild clinical signs are seen when an animal ingests 20 mg/kg of the chemical in chocolate (plus caffeine).
According to the same paper, dark chocolate contains 150 mg/oz of the "bad stuff". (I am staying away from big words at 5am).
That means that in 0.76 oz Tess got 114 mg.
That means that Tess ate 3.26 mg/kg of bad stuff.
As that is a far cry from 20 mg/kg, I think she'll be OK.
Although, she's pretty sure she's going to die locked her in kennel in the dark bedroom. And I don't particularly care right now.
What a failure at the "Yer Choice" game! I'm pretty sure the synapse went "see cupcake, want cupcake", instead of the preferred - "see cupcake, want cupcake but if I wait and don't take it, she will give me something better".